PARENTS GUIDE TO YOUTH WRESTLING is a great primer for parents new to the sport of wrestling and a helpful refresher for returning parents. It's important to support your wrestler in a positive manner. WWC is a volunteer organization and our success depends on the help of all our families.
Practice starts Tuesday, 11/06/2012. All kids in grades 2-8 and who haven't reached their 15th birthday by 12/31/12 are eligible to join.
To finish registration the following forms must be completed
- IKWF Competitors Card Application
- USWA Medical Waiver and Release
- Photographic/Video Reproduction Permission Form
- Copy of a Birth Certificate (new club members / IKWF members only)
FORMS WILL BE AVAILABLE AT REGISTRATION NIGHTS
- @ 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm WVHS Athletic Lobby
- Wednesday 10/03/2012 Tuesday 10/09/2012
- (Also available at practices beginning on 11/06/2012)
2012 - 2013 Registration Fees:
- Bantams $175 ( 7-8 yrs old as of 12/31/12)
- Intermediates $225 ( 9-10 yrs old as of 12/31/12)
- Novices $250 (11-12 yrs old as of 12/31/12)
- Seniors $250 (13-14 yrs old as of 12/31/12)
- Middle School Discount $165 (7th and 8th graders who practice all season w/club and school)
- Family Maximum $325 (Max 2 IKWF Cards per family, each additional $40)
- DOES NOT INCLUDE TOURNAMENT FEES
The registration fee includes each wrestlers IKWF and USA Wrestling registration, a club tee shirt, shorts, hoodie, and year end banquet and trophy. A tournament singlet is provided by the club for a refundable deposit.
- Check the WWC Calendar on the home page for the updated practice schedule.
- Tots and Bantams (8 and under): Tuesday and Thursday, 6:15 to 7:30.
- Juniors, Novices and Seniors (9 and over): Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, 6:15 to 8:00
- Have your wrestler arrive at practice at least 10 minutes early so that they are dressed and ready when practice starts.
- Balcony wrestling room of Waubonsie Valley High School located in the gym.
- Enter the doors on the west side of the school marked Auditorium.
What to Wear
- Each wrestler should wear a tee shirt and shorts or a practice singlet .
- Bring your wrestling shoes and change into them when you arrive. Use the shoe cleaning mat before stepping onto the wrestling mats. Please don't walk on the mats with street shoes.
- Headgear: Protective headgear is required at pratices and at all tournaments.
- Kneepads are not required however many wrestlers like to wear them.
- Bring a Water Bottle to practice.
Who can Attend
- Due to strict IKWF insurance policies, only registered wrestlers are allowed to practice.
- Coaches must be registered with the IKWF and pass a criminal background check.
- WWC has a closed practice room beginning the 3rd week of the season.
- All practices are preceeded by a warm up/stretching session.
- Practices include instruction, conditioning, drilling and live wrestling.
- When possible, wrestlers are grouped and coached according to age, weight and skill level.
- We strongly urge our wrestlers to attend as many practices as possible. Kids who miss practice often fall behind.
- We frequently announce important information at practices (practice cancellations, tournament information etc).
- If you miss a practice make sure to check the website for anything you may have missed.
- We strive to have fun at practice but the coaches are not babysitters. Our wrestlers are expected to behave and pay attention to the coaches.
- Disruptive behavior won't be tolerated and wrestlers who continue to disturb practice will be asked to leave the club.
- It is the parents' responsibility to get their children to and from practice in a timely fashion.
- Please don't drop your child off without making sure there is practice.
- All registered WWC wrestlers and coaches receive Secondary Sports Accident Insurance through USA Wrestling.
- Starting in December and ending in March with the IKWF State series.
- Tournaments are held nearly every weekend.
- Tournaments are optional but we strongly encourage our wrestlers to compete in as many as possible so that they can develop the skills they are taught in practice.
- The complete schedule of IKWF tournaments that WWC will be attending can be found on the Tournaments Page of the website.
- Tournament fees usually cost about $15. Registration and prepayment is required. Make checks payable to the Waubonsie Wrestling Club.
- Submit your tournament payment to us. DO NOT send them directly to the tournaments!!!!
- Spots are limited and registrations will be accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- Parents are responsible for transporting their children to and from tournaments.
TOURNAMENT PROCEDURES AND INFORMATION
- Head gear, wrestling shoes and a singlet are required
- Have your wrestler get to bed early the night before
- Fingernails should be trimmed the night before
- Arrive early
- Weigh in is typically between 6:30-8:00 am and wrestling usually starts 9:00-9:30 am
- Wrestlers who are late to weigh in cannot wrestle in the tournament
- Plan enough time to eat breakfast after weighing in
- Wrestlers are bracketed by age division, weight and experience
- Typically Bantams (8 and under) will wrestle first
- Wrestlers will usually have 2-4 matches
- Ask other parents of experienced wrestlers if you have any questions and to get some helpful hints to help you through the first couple of tournaments
- Most tournaments end between 2:00 and 4:00 pm.
- Most tournaments are in the Chicagoland metro area